Recommended Readings  |Emergency FAQ | Join Dodger's Message Board | Home
--Success Story--    


by Connie Cridland


I was one that didn’t think crates were “humane” and totally against them… After crate rest I waited a bit to put the crate away. When I finally decided it was time I was packing it up and Lily barked at me… not a little bark but the bark as if to say “that is mine!!!” I moved the crate from the family room to my office and she got in. HUMMMM… Okay we will leave it here for a while, I thought. After a few days of it being in my office I was working and I happened to look down at the pen and BOTH Joeli and Lily were in the crate. I did my best not to react and just went about my normal business but Joeli is (used to be) terrified of crates. Now it is their spot in my office and I am glad to have it there – Just in case. I pray I don’t have to use it again but now it isn’t a thing of evil… just a place where they feel like they are home.

On 9/8/08 Lily wasn’t quite herself and being the over protective Mom that I am I took her to the vet… she had lost her “bounce” and was walking slowly, etc. The vet said she had hurt her back and she needed restricted activity, did I have a crate? I didn’t, I've never crated my dogs. (I was one of those that thought it was cruel) She didn't tell me I HAD to crate my dog, just to ‘restrict’ her activity and gave me Tramadol and Deramaxx. Tramadol is a pain reliever and by the next day Lily was feeling much better, walking normal, etc.

On 9/9 she was sleeping in her bed on the floor of my office (my idea at the time of restricted activity) when the Fedex person knocked at my door. Lily jumped at the door a couple of times and within an hour she was hunched over shaking. We immediately made another trip to the vets and I found out Lily was now paralyzed with deep pain sensation.

It was recommended I take her to the emergency hospital for surgery. By the time I arrived there she was deep pain negative. We opted for surgery to give her the best chance at a walking/normal life. $6,000 plus later she IS walking, peeing and pooing on her own but (THIS IS THE POINT I AM TRYING TO MAKE HERE) if I would have found Dodgerslist on 9/8 and started conservative treatment (STRICT CRATE REST!!!) for the 8 weeks I might have saved Lily the pain and suffering she had to go through (not to mention the $6,000 that is not easy to afford in these times).

Even with the surgery I opted for the Dodgers List Ladies advice over the surgeons "couple of weeks" restricted activity. Lily is on 6 weeks crate rest with acupuncture, supplements, etc. EVERYTHING the ladies/ANGELS on this list recommend because this is what they do… IVDD is what they know as everyone of them has experienced it, most of them multiple times.

UPDATE: (3-31-09) Lily is walking about 95% (I am the only one that can see a difference) normal has full bladder/bowel control and her personality is back (stubborn, adorable and lovable)… We have ramps for the couches and the steps/stairs are gated. I watch her like a hawk and, I admit, I am paranoid with her but I know that I have the Dodgerslist Angels to help me if it happens again.

UPDATE: 1/2/10 I carried Lily up the stairs and put her on the floor as I went to perform my nightly routine. When I was climbing into bed I noticed Lily didn’t want to climb the ramp to join me – a little red flag but I thought she was just being stubborn (as we all know dachsies can be) so I picked her up and put her in the bed. The next morning I carried her down the stairs (ALWAYS and yes they are gated) put her in the family room (Lily loves to make an “entrance” into a room – Indy car driver comes to mind) and instead of running up the ramps to kiss my husband (aka lick the morning toast crumbs off his face) she walked to the ramp and didn’t go up. HUGE RED FLAG!!!! I immediately called the vet and got her in (Upset but calm and confident). She was still walking, pooing and peeing but just not acting normal… The vet noticed she was tender in the lower part of her back. I know we can’t “see” a problematic disc without an MRI but I remembered that an x-ray might show calcification. I asked her to do one. The x-ray showed where her surgery was (smaller space between the vertebrae) and the rest of her back looked good (no calcium deposits). She suggested crate rest (2 weeks) and Deramaxx. OF COURSE I am going with the DL recommended 8 weeks, stomach protector (why take the chance, I’d rather avoid more health issues?) AND NO CHEATING on the 8 weeks. I made the mistake last time… this time I am informed and know what I need to do to help this little angel recoup without surgery.

UPDATE: 3/2/10 – We made it through crate rest – For some reason it was easier this time than after the surgery… maybe I KNEW that she needed it and didn’t feel guilty having her in a crate or maybe she knew that it was the best thing for her...