Recommended Readings  |Emergency FAQ | Join Dodger's Message Board | Home

Story of the Month - October 2006    




I have a 4 year old mini dachshund and when she was 3, one morning I woke up and she couldn't walk with her back legs. I took her to the ER vet and they told me that she still had feeling in her back legs and that they would keep her and give her steroids until her vet opened. When I took her to the vet she told me we should try the steroids for 48 hours and if she didn't get any better then she would have to be put down or have surgery. I decided to let her stay the 48 hours. She didn't get any better we took her to Veterinary Specialty Center and the Doctor asked me why I waited so long to bring her in. I told him what her vet said and he said that we should have brought her in right away. When we got to the office she had lost all of the feeling in her back legs. He said that she would have a 30% chance of walking again if we had the surgery done if we aren't going to have it done then we would had to have her put done because she was in so much pain. We decided to have the surgery done. Pebbles got to come home 1 day after. The Doctor said that it would take 6 to 8 weeks before we would know anything her showed us how to empty her bladder and she had to be in a kennel for this long to. When we got home Pebbles didn't do so good. She wouldn't eat or drink by herself. I had to make her eat and drink I had to give her water eye dropper and feed her with a spoon. About 2 weeks after the surgery we had to take her back to the vet he told us that she might not make it. It looked like all of her organs were failing and that she might not be able to walk at all. He said that we should talk about putting her down. I was so upset and thought we should give her 1 more chance. They put her on antibiotics and kept her for a week. After 3 days of being at the vet she was like her old self. Her sprits were back and she was so exited to see me . We took her home and waited for the 8 weeks to be up. She is paralyzed but she is still the same dog. We got her a wheelchair from Doggin Wheels and she loves it. She can still play with her balls . I wish I had found this site before it happened to her. Thanks,

Sally Atherton and Pebbles

Have a story you'd like to submit? Send an email to