On Sunday night, 11:00 p.m., July 18, I noticed that Merlina was not feeling well. She was not moving and running as she ussually did and through the night it got worse. By 3:00 a.m. she fell off the bed and could not move at all. At 6:00 a.m. I called my vet and by 8:00 a.m. she was admitted to the hospital.
Here in Mazatlan, Mexico, we do not have the technology available to even get Merlina an X-ray, much less an MRI or whatever could have given us any idea of what disc was ruptured. What we did know was that she had at least one disc ruptured and by the time I got her to the vet she was completly paralyzed and with no feeling at all on her hind legs (neither superficial nor deep) and no bowel or bladder control. Surgery was not an option for a simple reason: we did not have the technology available.
She remained stable, with tubes everywhere: feeding tube, 2 I.V's, catheters, the works. I was not allowed to see her until Wednesday so that she would not get too upset or excited and try to move. The vet called me 3 times a day to give me a report.
On Wednesday, June 21st I arrived to the pet hospital at 5:30 p.m. to find my baby in the middle of a heart crisis that started half an hour earlier. It broke my heart to see the look in her eye (just one, loooong story). She wanted me to help her, she was weak and scared. My vet was about to call me so that I could say goodbye since she had given her Athropine and God knows how many other drugs and was not able to get a regular heart beat. She was breathing like she had run a mile in a minute and was extremely pale. My vet feared the worst. I begged her to let me take her home. I though she was going to die and I did not want her to die surrounded by strangers, but with me. But my vet convinced me to let her keep Merlina. She was going to take her home with her to watch her all night and give her what ever drugs she needed. At 3:00 a.m. on Thursday my cell rang. Merlina had a fever so high that the thermometer hit the limit and Merlina was in a tub with cold water and ice. Patty, my vet, asked me to authorize her to put her to sleep if she could not control her condition any more. I begged her to wait a few more hours to see how she evolved. At 6:00 a.m. Patty called me, Merlina's temperature was back to normal.
By 8:00 a.m. she was completly stable. By 10:00 a.m. she was happy and hungry. By 5:00 p.m. she moved her right leg a bit and recovered deep and superficial feeling on it, but nothing on the left one. She spent the weekend with me, and by Sunday afternoon, she regained deep pain feeling on her left leg, but still could not use it. On Monday and during the rest of the week she would go back to the vet's while I was at work and I would pick her up to go home and sleep together.
Wednesday the 28th of August 1:00 p.m. Patty dropped off Merlina at my house. As soon as I found out I called her to see what was going on and she told me that Merlina was so well that she did not see the point of keeping her in "day care". She was using both legs now and had full bowel and bladder control. She was going to see her again in a week.
During this period of time I surfed the net like crazy and Thank God I found this excellent group of people who game me such great advice. God helped us so much.
Merlina is almost back to normal. She can walk in an almost straight line, she wags her tail, she begs for food, plays, scratches, bites, sniffs. Just like the good old days. Patty told me it was an amazing recovery. From near death to normal in just ONE WEEK! That's gotta be a new record!
Thank God, and Thank you all, so very very much.
Guadalupe & Merlina Wonderdox
- submitted by Guadalupe Rivera