IVDD Precautions: anesthesia dentals x-rays -Shortcut Thru IVDD
IVDD dogs have a special risk whenever they are under anesthesia for dentals, x-rays, etc.
Precautions with dentals and x-rays
For all breeds prone to IVDD or any dog that has been diagnosed with IVDD
You never know when/if the first episode will happen with breeds prone to IVDD. IVDD dogs have a special risk whenever they are under anesthesia. You already know that an IVDD dog is always at risk for a future injury due to degenerating discs. You need to treat IVDD as a lifelong disease of discs that prematurely age.
When dogs go under, risk is increased. The dog loses all muscle tone and support. If the surgical team is not careful, lifting or turning the dog the wrong way could potentially cause a secondary disc injury. It is rare but it can happen.
Please keep this in mind any time your dog goes under for a dental or medical imaging or any other reason. Make sure that whoever is working with your dog understands that your dog has IVDD, and they need to take special care to support your dog’s spine before, during, and after anesthesia.
5 Things to know about dentals
- Plaque turns to tartar in 36 hours. Once it becomes tartar it can’t be removed with a toothbrush. Plan on brushing daily to extend the time between a dental.
- Schedule your dog on days that are not “booked solid” so the staff has more time to care for your dog.
- Write a note in red ink on the dental consent form: “XX is an IVDD dog. Please support this dog’s back before, during and after anesthesia. Keep the front and back legs in the same plane when repositioning the body to avoid twisting the trunk.”
- Ask to speak with the vet tech and vet who are going to do the work to explain how precious your dog is to you and to speak to your questions or concerns.
- Hang around to make sure things are going OK so they know you are available in the waiting room or give a number where they can reach you.
- At pick up, cookies or a box of goodies will help keep everyone on a positive note for next time!
Video below shows behind the scenes dental activities.
Shortcut Thru IVDD Menu
Spinal walking – Shortcut Thru IVDD
IVDD is a disease of TIME – Shortcut Thru IVDD
Hope for all IVDD warriors – Shortcut Thru IVDD
IVDD slipped disc back pain -Shortcut Thru IVDD
What is disc disease? -Shortcut Thru IVDD
Emergency action- Shortcut Thru IVDD
Two disc episode treatment options – Shortcut Thru IVDD
Rehabilitation therapy – Shortcut Thru IVDD
Wheelchairs when? features? – Shortcut Thru IVDD